Years ago when we had children at home we would have a family council as part of Family Home Evening. It consisted of going over the week's calendar and trying to coordinate the schedules of all the busy people in the family. Time was spent planning family vacations and service projects. We would usually have a discussion of problems in the family and how we could solve the problems. One particular night when President Barry asked if there were any problems we needed to discuss I immediately thought of the frustration I had through out the week of asking my daughter to put the vacuum away. I had asked her many times with no results. It was a water canister vacuum and since it had sat in the corner of the family room for 4 days with dirty water in the canister it was really starting to stink. All that frustration rushed into my mind. I quickly asked the Lord to help know what to say and the words came. "I have a request," I said. "I would like _________ (insert the guilty daughter's name) to go sit in the corner with the vacuum because they both suck!" Now, that isn't my normal vernacular which caused a long pause and surprised looks on every face, especially the daughter. Then bursts of laughter exploded throughout the room. All the frustration left as we laughed until tears were streaming down our faces. She jumped up and quickly took care of the irritation. I have to admit she became much quicker to obey after that. Problem solved.
That is power of councils.
That is power of councils.
Our zone leader council achieves the same results. We talk over the schedule, we discuss zone goals and ask for an accountability report on those goals. We discuss problems in the zones and set goals and make plans to solve those problems in the coming month. The best part is the discussion on doctrine! It is a revelatory experience. Alma tells us, "counsel with the Lord in all thy doings and he will direct thee for good." We use our Council to counsel together and then we counsel with the Lord for his guidance. He does direct us to do good and to do his work.
These young elders are full of power and are guided by the spirit. And yes, we even laugh quite a bit. This work is joyous!
These young elders are full of power and are guided by the spirit. And yes, we even laugh quite a bit. This work is joyous!
No comments:
Post a Comment